Cream sauce is one of the easiest things to make. As a kid it was my all time favorite pasta topping. The thing about making stuff from scratch however, is that you learn what goes into it and cream sauce is DEFINATELY an indulgence! Use this sauce in any pasta dish. It nicely compliments chicken, fish and seafood. Mix it with the Classic Marinara to make a delicious Rosé.
4 tbsp butter
1/2 c flour
4 cups warm milk
1/2 tsp salt or to taste
Pinch ground white pepper
Pinch grated nutmeg
1. Melt butter over med heat.
2. Shake out your arms and give them a little stretch. We have some whisking to do.
2. Add flour and whisk until smooth.
3. Keep whisking and gradually add the warm milk.
4. Those lumps aren’t going to disappear on thier own – Whisk it good!
5. Simmer over medium until thick and creamy. Yes. Still whisking.
6. Remove from heat and add seasonings to taste.
7. Give yourself a pat on the back, your arm workout and tasty Bechamél are complete.
- Sauté 1 cup diced mushrooms in 1 Tbsp of butter. Add to finished Bechamél for a mushroom cream sauce.
- Sauté some diced pancetta and add to the cream sauce along with 1 Tbsp chopped Italian parsley, 2 Tbsp grated Parmesan and a pinch of paprika for a Carbonara sauce.
- Add 1/2 cup grated parmesan and 1 Tbsp chopped tarragon for a lovely tarragon cream sauce.