4 slices bacon, chopped
1 Tbsp butter
2 large leeks, white and light green parts only, thinly sliced
2 cloves garlic, minced
Handful of fresh thyme leaves
4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
2 medium russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch chunks
Salt and freshly ground pepper
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 1/2 cups frozen peas (do not thaw)
Handful of parsley, chopped
2 green onions, sliced
1. Fry the bacon in a large saucepan over medium heat until crisp. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate.
3. Add the broth, potatoes, thyme and 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper; cover and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to medium and simmer, partially covered, until the potatoes are tender, about 10 minutes.
4. Puree half the soup in a blender (remove cap to let steam escape), then return to the pot.
5. Stir in the cream and bring to a simmer.
6. Throw in the peas and cook 3 min more.
7. Season with salt and pepper and serve topped with bacon, parsley and green onion.